Email marketing and data collection tricks

 Email marketing and data collection tricks


Yesterday I received an email from an email marketing guru.

I know this person (not personally). I was part of the course where he was the teacher in the field of email marketing theory and practices a few years ago. 

I am subscribed to his email newsletter - tips and helpful info on how to make better email campaigns.

But a long time ago this newsletter stopped, till yesterday.

Now in this email, he asks for a "service request" - kind of help to his work on how to optimize future projects.

Sound promising, my mind told me: to click on the link on the survey and give a hand to the guru, why not?


There were a survey form, an explanation, and fields which all of them was tagged with * Required.

Hmm, my brain unlocks the security check process here...


Why does this person who already sends to me and maybe to other people informative and good info want that info?

Then I realize that He needs this data from the survey to gain again permission to use my data legally for his NEW PROJECT (described as a "will launch with the "most sinister" email marketing challenge you can imagine.'').

The questions were related to what topics I am interested in, and if I am not interested in email marketing - what are these other interests also * Required field! ("I will be happy to learn more about you." says the help text above the input field).

Maybe the reader (you dear visitor) will think that this is normal behavior and practice

Yes, It is, but only when the collector of the data is clear and honest with you.


Here are my concerns, reasons why I did not fill out and sent the survey:
  • The sender requires private information from you about your life;
  • The form asks for my NAME and EMAIL - he already has my email;
  • The was no field that was not * Required;
  • In the end, I was confused about How exactly my inputs will help me;
  • The survey says "I only have 3 questions", but there were two more: name and email.

That was a simple, maybe not so dangerous case, but now every person's data online should be carefully protected.

Think twice dear reader every time you fill out a survey or a form online.




 



Comments

Popular Posts