Replacing the monuments around the globe πŸ›️

 Replacing the monuments around the globe


In the past few years, I am always curious about when and why some nation, town, or even neighborhood is replacing or destructure a heritage monument. 

🌎


I have few memories of watching the show /on TV/ of the blasting of the Georgi Dimitrov Mausoleum in Sofia. 


The point here is that society was trying to change the direction of development from communism to capitalism.

The second memory that occurs in my mind, when I see, read or watch a similar approach somewhere, is a one when in Sofia the city replaced a dangerous and old 1300 years Bulgaria monument with a lion. 

The idea is the same with the Mausoleum - to forget and destroy the past and create a new brighter future.

sofia 1300 years old monument

sofia 1300 years old monument

Sofia Lion monument


The reason writing this is that I found that here in the new world - The USA, they also do the same.


Denying the old monuments

🧭

 One example is the "problem" with the Christopher Columbus statues around The USA and Mexico.

NYC Columbus circle



More about the topic: 
I am asking myself: 

Is changing the present reality, denying and hiding history, will bring a better future?



Comments

Popular Posts